- May 30, 2022
- Communications Department
* For Immediate Release
The Asan Symposium:
“Celebrating Korea-US Relations: 140 Years and Beyond”
SEOUL, June 3, 2022 – The Asan Institute for Policy Studies (http://en.asaninst.org/) and Embassy of the United States of America in Seoul will co-host the Asan Symposium: “Celebrating Korea-US Relations: 140 Years and Beyond” on June 3, 2022 (Fri.) at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Hannam-dong, Seoul. This event, attended by key figures from both countries, will mark the 140th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Korea and the United States.
Along with a congratulatory video message from former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, newly appointed South Korea’s Foreign Minister Park Jin and U.S. Embassy Chargé d’Affaires ad interim Christopher Del Corso will give a congratulatory speech. The Symposium will bring together more than 35 distinguished experts, policymakers, and scholars from the both countries including:
• Edwin Feulner, Founder of The Heritage Foundation
• John Hamre, President and CEO of Center for Strategic and International Studies
• Karen House, Former Publisher of the Wall Street Journal
• Paul Wolfowitz, Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense
• Sung Kim, U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy
• Joseph Yun, former U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy
• Wendy Cutler, Vice President at the Asia Society Policy Institute
• John Linton, Director of Yonsei University Health System
• Lee Hong Koo, Former Prime Minister / Former South Korean Ambassador to the U.S.
• Yoon Young-kwan, Former Foreign Minister
• Ahn Ho-Young, Former South Korean Ambassador to the U.S.
• Lee Joon-Gyu, Chairman of the Asan Institute for Policy Studies / President of Korean Council on Foreign Relations
• Kim Jong-hoon, Former Trade Minister
• Noh Jongwon, President and CMO of SK hynix
• Kim Byung Joo, Member of the Korean National Assembly / Former Deputy Commander of the ROK/US Combined Forces Command
• Youn Kun Young, Member of the Korean National Assembly
• Tae Young Ho, Member of the Korean National Assembly
The Asan Symposium consists of four sessions and addresses following subjects:
• Highlights from 140 Years of Bilateral Relations between Korea and the U.S
• Vision and Challenges of the ROK-US Alliance
• Economic Security and the Role of the Private Sector
• The Korean Peninsula and North Korea
* Also note that only members of the media with an official ASAN press badge will be permitted for
entry. You should carry your official press badge and/or press credentials and a personal ID with you while on the venue.
* Due to limited space, members of the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Unification press corps will be given priority admission. We ask for your understanding.
* All sessions will be conducted in English with simultaneous Korean interpretation.