[Arirang Radio] 2015-11-06
The ruling party in Turkey swept parliamentary snap elections and regained the single-party rule.
Turkey’s strongman president, Erdogan tightened his grip on power decisively.
But, this might sharpen deep social polarization in Turkey.
1. Tell us more about the background of “this surprising” victory of Turkey’s ruling party, Justice and Development Party or AKP.
2. Then, why is the election result so surprising? The party has been in power for 13 years and regained the majority again.
3. How is it that a man that who was, until recently, one of the world’s most popular leaders is now being portrayed as an authoritarian ruler?
4. What implications does the “regression to authoritarianism” in Turkey have for Korea?
* Good Morning Seoul (Nov 6, 2015)