- April 4, 2019
* Embargoed for release at 0600 Wednesday, April 17, 2018
The Asan Plenum 2019, “Korea’s Choice”
SEOUL, April 4, 2019 –The Asan Institute for Policy Studies (http://en.asaninst.org/) will host the Asan Plenum 2019 on April 23 (Tue.) – 24 (Wed.) at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Hannam-dong, Seoul. The title of this year’s Plenum is “Korea’s Choice.”
James Steinberg, Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of State, will deliver the keynote address. The Plenum will bring together over 100 distinguished experts, policymakers, scholars, and members of the media including:
- Edwin Fuelner, Founder of The Heritage Foundation
- Paul Wolfowitz, Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense and President of the World Bank
- Marc Knapper, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary, Department of State, Former Chargé d’affaires at U.S. Embassy Seoul
- Alexander Vershbow, Former S. Ambassador to the Republic of Korea and Deputy Secretary General of NATO
- Sue Mi Terry, Senior Fellow, Korea Chair, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
This year’s Asan Plenum addresses the myriad challenges and choices facing Korea today. The ongoing U.S.-China competition for global leadership raises crucial strategic dilemmas for South Korea—especially when one is its longstanding ally and the other its predominant trading partner. Meanwhile, countries in East Asia including South Korea remain hesitant about deepening strategic ties with Japan in the absence of lasting reconciliation, whilst rising nationalism continues to test the viability and endurance of international cooperation around the globe. South Korea faces difficult choices within its borders as well amidst the current impasse over denuclearization and overcoming the major challenges that lie ahead. The choices Korea makes will have consequences for the future of the peninsula, the region, and beyond.
To discuss these issues and many more, the 2019 Asan Plenum will feature four plenary and eleven panel sessions. In addition, the book launch for the English translation of the late Hyundai Group Founder Chung Ju-yung’s memoir, Born of This Land: My Life Story, will be held during the Plenum.
The Asan Plenum is a yearly gathering of the world’s leading experts and scholars. In addressing the most pressing global issues, the Asan Plenum aims to impact the policy making process and enable the international community to better deal with the challenges it faces.
* Interview requests with speakers:
Please send us the attached interview requests form in ‘Appendix 3’ to email@example.com by 17:00 Friday, April 12th , 2019.
* Press Registration and Badge:
– Please be advised that, due to security reasons, only credentialed members of the press who RSVP by Friday, April 19th to firstname.lastname@example.org will be allowed admission.
– Also note that only members of the media with an official ASAN press badge will be permitted for entry. You should carry your official press badge and/or press credentials and a personal ID with you while on the venue.
-Due to limited space, members of the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Unification press corps will be given priority admission. We ask for your understanding.
* For participants list, panel descriptions, and up-to-date information, please visit our website at www.asanplenum.org.
* All sessions will be conducted in English with simultaneous Korean interpretation.
About the Asan Institute for Policy Studies
The Asan Institute for Policy Studies (http://en.asaninst.org/) is an independent think tank that provides innovative policy solutions and spearheads public discourse on the core issues in Korea, East Asia and the world. Our goal is to assist policymakers to make better informed and mutually beneficial policy decisions.